When the world out meta-games you

For the past couple of weeks I've been thinking off and on about what I might like to post on the blog. But as the public health and economic impact of Covid-19 bludgeons its way through markets and hospitals around the world, the realm of gaming seems increasingly small and inconsequential by comparison. I can't focus on gaming - partly because the news is relentless (and for good reason), and partly because a major world event like this has a way of reframing my own thoughts. Blithely going on about gaming feels too much like suggesting starving people eat cake, given the worldwide disruption and turmoil.

As an ex-scientist in a relevant field, I'm fully on board with the injunctions to wash your hands so regularly that you develop a dire need for hand lotion. I support the admonition to limit large gatherings and employ "social distancing". On a personal level, I don't want to bring Covid-19 into contact with my elderly relatives and friends. On a socially conscious level, I understand the need to slow the infection rate down as much as possible so that our health care system, and hospitals in particular, don't get overwhelmed to the breaking point.

Gah. Look! Like everyone else I know, I can't stop thinking and talking about Covid-19. Which brings me to why I sat down to write this post. Once you've washed your hands... once you've tele-commuted to work or school... once you've cancelled your travel plans... once you've taken all the precautions, done the responsible things, watched the stock market contort and writhe, and hunkered down to wait this out as best you can... you actually do need to do what you can to continue with life to the best of your ability.

I was hoping that writing this post would help me do that. Up to this point in the post, I guess I really haven't. It's hard to tear myself away, and everyone I know is having the same problem. And yet, maintaining a sense of normalcy is a really important coping mechanism for stress. And so I am going to make an effort to pry my mind off Covid-19 and its consequences, and keep the dice rolling over the next few weeks to months.

An easy way to keep some of the enjoyment of D&D going during times of "social distancing" is to continue to create props and accessories for the game. These are activities I can do in my own house with materials I largely have at hand, or that at least can be easily acquired. (Unlike hand sanitizer or toilet paper.) Another is to consider switching temporarily to one of the several internet-based RPG platforms, like Fantasy Grounds, Roll20 or even just Discord. That's a fair bit of work though to get up to speed, and I'm not sure everyone in my current groups will be onboard. (If any readers have favorite online RPG platforms or systems, I'd love to hear your views in the comments. I'm very much out of my element here.) I know that I'd rather meet in person with all the pizza and beer and camaraderie, but Fantasy Grounds is better than nothing at all. Even so, I think I'll have some work to do just in getting people to sign on.

But if my kids have to telecommute to everything and all their sports and extracurriculars get canceled, internet based D&D games might be a really good way to keep them occupied in a healthy and engaging way. Who knows, perhaps more parents will join in. The second type of virally-induced fever about to sweep the world is... cabin fever.

Comments

Popular Posts